Managing Cyber Security and Compliance for Digital Collaboration Networks
Collaboration networks such as Slack, Yammer, Chatter and IBM Connections are taking the enterprise by storm. Collaboration platforms have moved well beyond chat to provide a virtual digital workspace where co-workers and teammates can communicate with each other, share ideas, share code, manage projects, and sustain long-lived conversation threads. Collaboration providers are growing their networks rapidly. For example, Slack, which started a platform for development teams, now has 8 million active users worldwide including 3 million in the enterprise –and has penetrated many other departments including marketing, sales, HR and partner channels.
With the broad adoption and increasing essential business-critical role of digital collaboration in the enterprise, CISOs and other C-level executives need to be on the defensive against a whole panoply of potential cybersecurity threat and compliance risks. Failure to implement adequate digital risk protection can result in some of the most high-profile, reputation-damaging threats and compliance violations that grab news headlines –with catastrophic financial fallout including revenue decline, loss of market cap, and potentially huge litigation expense.
Key areas of concern include:
- Account Authorization – In a collaboration setting, it is important that users have account authorization for access to potentially sensitive information.
- Malicious Message Content –With thousands of collaborators, monitoring message content and use is critical to prevent cyber-threats and compliance violations from spreading.
- Account Take Over –Even when your account settings are at the highest level of security (e.g. 2FA), they are still vulnerable to exploitation and account takeover (ATO) attacks.
- Link Sharing & Attachments - Sharing and collaborating are so easy on platforms like Slack, but employees can easily share malicious links (e.g. malware) or attachments that can compromise accounts.
- Business Conduct and Regulatory Compliance – Even if collaboration for “enterprise-internal” purposes only, user behavior and content are governed by many the same business conduct and regulatory compliance policies as traditional email – and at risk for compliance violations.
- Data Security & Privacy Concerns – Privileged information or personally identifiable information (PII) is shared, perhaps innocently, but in violation of data security or privacy policies.
The SafeGuard Cyber Solution
SafeGuard Cyber delivers the leading SaaS platform to manage the full life cycle of Digital Risk Protection for Slack, Yammer, Chatter and other collaboration channels, so enterprises can detect, analyze, defend, and prevent cybersecurity attacks in real time – while automating governance and compliance. The SafeGuard Cyber platform empowers security, risk and compliance professionals to protect their social and digital channels while enabling the adoption of these technologies across the enterprise without fear.
Enterprise organizations of all sizes around the world have adopted the SafeGuard Cyber SaaS platform approach as the most comprehensive way protect their digital channels from the dual threat of cyber exploits and compliance vulnerabilities that occur outside the perimeter of the firewall, including the following capabilities:
- Suspension of Unauthorized Accounts –monitors every account independently across the organization’s digital network for access authorization and will suspend unauthorized accounts, while also generating notifications and audit trail for analysts review.
- Takedown of Malicious Content – evaluates all postings, images, attachments and links for malicious content, inappropriate behavior, malware or compliance violations; security controls can take immediate action to take down and quarantine content that exceeds risk thresholds for further review and permanent remediation.
- Takedown of Compromised Accounts – monitors for suspicious behavior, account settings, evidence of impersonations, and any other indicators that accounts have been compromised, and can take immediate action to take down accounts under suspicion of ATO as well as quarantine of any associated content postings.
- Supervision and content analytics for regulatory compliance – provides real-time, policy-driven supervision and analysis of user behavior and content to identify potential business and regulatory compliance violations; applies content analytics and risk scoring to identify the most probable policy violations while reducing false positives.
- Extensive Policy Library – provides extensive policy library, enabling automated supervision across some of the most broadly applicable business policies including Brand Integrity, Reputation, Business Conduct, Anti-Harassment, Privacy (PII, GDPR); and industry-specific regulations including FINRA, SEC, FDA, MiFID II, NFA, IIROC, MFA, FCA, HIPPA. Policy rules can be easily extended or customized to meet further organizational requirements.
- Archival retention – provides automated capture, retention, immutable preservation with full audit trail for all content posting across all supported social media and digital networking hubs, including all cyber activity, capture of deep links and content of referenced web pages.
- Legal Hold and eDiscovery –provides full metadata and text indexing, legal hold, advanced search and retrieval; to manage investigations and legal hold in place, as well as APIs, exports, other capabilities to facilitate advanced integration with designated enterprise eDiscovery systems.
- Pervasive Channel Coverage – integrates with over 50 of the most popular digital channels, organized across 4 distinct digital networking categories including social media, mobile communications, collaboration networks, unified communications and enterprise clouds.
Customers can be up and running in minutes with no on-premises systems to be installed. Pre-configured agents embedded in all the major social and digital channels route the data to our cloud where a powerful AI based system of policies identifies anomalies and takes real-time steps to protect the enterprise at massive scale.