Advanced Digital Risk Protection for Government
Digital platforms are changing the way enterprise organizations, including government, deliver their services. Social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, and mobile apps, make it easier for government organizations to communicate directly with their citizens. This fosters better engagement between citizen and government, which is vital in terms of raising public awareness and directing citizen response during emergency situations and crisis events. Yet government agencies have adversaries. That same powerful platform can be compromised by government employees, activist citizens, hackavist, and cyber criminals to subvert these platforms against the government agencies and an innocent public.
Some of the most significant digital risk exposure for government agencies include:
- Compliance Exposure – Agency record keeping, retention obligations for all records, now including citizen postings - social media and other digital channels are no exception. In addition, content postings by both government employees and citizens need to be supervised for malicious behavior.
- Cyber Threats – Hackavists, state-sponsored actors and other bad actors find government social media sites to be attractive targets for attack because of their high visibility and vulnerability to compromise – malicious content postings, account impersonations & takeovers, malware infections, phishing and BOT attacks are among the most common threat vectors.
- Brand and Reputation Damage - Digital assets are often the target of brand impersonation attempts, social engineering campaigns, or digital sabotage; even a malicious citizen posting can result in damage to an agency's reputation and trust.
- VIP Exposure – High-profile government officials are often the target of threat actors with intent on reputational damage or access to sensitive information. Account impersonations, phishing attacks, BOT attacks, and doxing campaigns are some of the techniques at play.
- Data Loss and Data Privacy Risk – There is a need to safeguard social media postings and other digital communications against deliberate or accidental disclosures of confidential government information, or personally identifiable information (PII) in violation of law or various privacy regulations (PII, PHI, GDPR).
- Insider Threats - As many as 60% of cyber incidents originate with insiders including government employees, contractors and consultants; digital channels have proven to be the easiest point of ingress or egress for other malicious activity.
- Legal Exposure and Litigation Risk - Inability to preserve the digital “chain of evidence” for eDiscovery leaves an agency vulnerable to spurious legal attack.
Whether you are a federal, state, or municipal government agency, there is a critical need to understand your digital risk exposure and protect your social networking ecosystem from cyber threats and compliance risks. Social media and other digital cloud platforms present unique external characteristics that can’t be addressed via a traditional IT security tools within a perimeter defense.
The SafeGuard Cyber Solution
SafeGuard Cyber delivers the leading SaaS platform to manage the full life cycle of Digital Risk Protection, so enterprises can detect, analyze, defend and prevent cybersecurity attacks in real time – while automating governance and compliance. The SafeGuard Cyber platform empowers security, risk and compliance professionals to protect their social and digital channels while enabling the adoption of these technologies across the enterprise Without Fear.
Government agencies of all sizes around the world have adopted the SafeGuard Cyber SaaS platform approach as the most comprehensive way protect their digital channels from the dual threat of cyber exploits and compliance vulnerabilities that occur outside the perimeter of the firewall. Capabilities include:
- Cyber Defense – provides independent surveillance of account activity across the organization’s digital network; evaluates all postings, images, attachments and links for malicious content, inappropriate behavior, malware or other violations; suspends unauthorized accounts; takes down malicious posting or malware; takes down accounts under suspicion of ATO; deflects BOT attacks; places high risk incidents under review for permanent remediation; generates audit trail for events and activities forensic investigation.
- Brand and Reputation Safeguards – employs a variety of cyber defensive techniques to ward off branding attacks and reputational damage. Utilizes advanced analytics and machine learning, to look for anomalous behavior in terms of account impersonations, BOT swarms (e.g. Follower requests), malicious content postings, phishing & spear phishing attacks – even anomalous employee activity; responds automatically in real-time to take down suspicious accounts, block communications, quarantine malicious or sensitive content, raise send security alerts, and capture all the details with a full audit trail for forensic investigation.
- VIP Safeguards – extends defense techniques similar to "brand defense" and wards off VIP attacks and account compromise. Advanced analytics techniques may involve more stringent scoring of “high risk” VIP communications in anticipation of account compromise scenarios, even blocking anomalous VIP behavior that violates policy controls until said risk incidents can be properly reviewed.
- Real-time Compliance – automates real-time, policy-driven supervision of user activity and communications, with contextual analytics and risk scoring to flag or take down content with high potential for policy violations while reducing false positives; pre-built policies pages for HR, business conduct, financial regulations including SOX, SEC, & GDPR; customizable and extendable.
- Archival Retention & Litigation Readiness – automates the capture of all communications and content, including all postings, attachments, images, links and meta data across all digital channel, to secure, immutable, compliance archive with full retention lifecycle management and defensible disposition. Provides full metadata and text indexing, and advanced search capabilities to enable collection and export for eDiscovery, legal hold in place, as well as APIs to facilitate advanced integration with designated enterprise eDiscovery systems.
- Pervasive Channel Coverage – integrates with over 50 of the most popular digital channels, organized across 4 distinct digital networking categories including social media, mobile communications, collaboration networks, unified communications, and enterprise clouds.
Customers can be up and running in minutes with no on-premises systems to be installed. Pre-configured agents embedded in all the major social and digital channels route the data to our cloud where a powerful AI based system of policies identifies anomalies and takes real-time steps to protect the enterprise at massive scale.